Back To School Supply shopping time – you’re probably worried about pencils, pens, notebooks, right? Wrong! For some of us, Back To School for our tweens/junior teens means listening to the mood swings, coping with growing anger, complaints and body changes.
Yes, Back To School for us means body changes, mild acne, which appeared recently and other signs that my boy is growing! Instead of just going with the flow, this back to school season, I decided to listen to his sometimes silent requests and help guide him through that process addressing:
- New odors
- Body and hair growth
- Self esteem and peer pressure
- Relationship with brands vs no branded items
- Skin concerns
I know, being a teen mom is tough, right? I’m not a “go with the flow” kind of mom! I’m very involved, especially because I only have one child and I want to make sure we help him navigate through those changes the best way possible!
Today, I want to address the skin concerns.
Skin is one of the most important items on the list as far as concerns for tweens and teens! It’s a growing concern for boys, since they seem to neglect, more than girls, the facial care habits.
I did some research and found out that The CLEAN & CLEAR® Deep Action Exfoliating Scrub cleanses deep down into pores, working to dissolve dirt, oil and impurities while exfoliating dead skin cells.
The oil-free, refreshing formula includes: unique cooling agents that leave skin looking and feeling revitalized, a blend of specially sized micro-beads for gentle, effective exfoliation and cleansing, and Menthol to instantly rejuvenate skin.
Not that my son cares about all those details, but he cares about the results and the CLEAN & CLEAR® MORNING BURST® line provides that!
Here are the products we purchased to help our son:
- MORNING BURST® Facial Cleanser
- Deep Action Scrub
- Deep Action: 60 sec shower masks
We helped him understand each product and learn how to use regularly and the importance of using them! I’m not going to lie to you, he still forgets but the fact that he’s working hard to use them, it’s a great start, especially because we have a few weeks before school starts!
We want to help him understand that he will always be perfect to us, but we’re here to help and guide him through any needs he has. I believe that’s the goal that all parents should have! He seems to be receptive to our help which is great!
If your teen is going through the same, you might want to use our tips to ensure he/she will adopt/incorporate a healthy skin care routine:
- Address the issue without body shaming, I for example, showed my son my blemish which had just come out and asked him if the one on his face bothered him?
- Offer solutions which are not “mandatory”, because teens tend not to respond well when enforcing rules come into play, so offer the picture of a few years later and multiple marks on the face as a result of not taking care of it now…..
- Discuss personal hygiene and the consequences of not taking showers, not washing the face, etc.
- Handle the issues with love and let go – it may seem that your teen is not ready to hear… but trust me, they will come back and do it. Pick your battles!
- Place products in areas of easy access! I placed my son’s products right inside his shower area (he has his own bathroom), where he couldn’t help but see them and where he wouldn’t need to be embarrassed to pick them up to use them! Private is a powerful keyword for teens!
His face is showing improvement and I truly believe we are helping guide him to a successful Back To School process, even before the school year starts!
Next time that you look at your endless Back To School List for your teen, you might want to add those to it!
What’s on your Back To School List? As usual, I can’t wait to hear what you think, as usual, give us a Trendy Shout!