This post is sponsored by NxStage Medical, Inc. but all opinions are my own.
I had a friend share information with me about kidney disease and it totally opened my eyes to a condition I wasn’t really aware of.
Since March is #NationalKidneyMonth, I wanted to raise awareness about kidney disease and an underutilized treatment option called home hemodialysis (HHD) with the NxStage System One.
Did you know that Hispanics are almost 2x more as likely to have diabetes compared to white Americans and nearly 1 in 4 Hispanics has high blood pressure? Given this, Hispanics are 1.5x more likely to experience kidney failure. Hispanics also constitute 17.9 of all patients in the U.S. receiving dialysis for kidney failure!!
Most patients receive treatment in a center multiple times a week which takes over their lives and leaves them feeling exhausted. There are many benefits associated with HHD with the System One:
- More independence. Home hemodialysis with the NxStage System One allows patients to receive treatment at home on their own schedule so they can take back control of their lives — which is amazing!!
- Freedom to travel. The NxStage System One is small and portable.
- Insurance. Varies by patient. Each patient can discuss with their doctors whether HHD is covered by their insurance. In most cases, it is.
About the NxStage System One
- The NxStage System One is the first and only portable hemodialysis machine cleared specifically by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) for home hemodialysis.
- Its simplicity and small size (just over a foot tall) are intended to allow convenient use in patients’ homes and give patients the freedom to travel with their therapy.
- Under the guidance of their physician, patients can use the NxStage System One, with their trained partners, where, how and when it best meets their needs. Including while they are sleeping—at home or on vacation and at a medically appropriate treatment frequency.
- The System One is also used to provide a range of flexible therapy options in more traditional care settings such as hospitals and dialysis centers.
- Benefits as related to frequency of treatment include:
- Better blood pressure control with fewer medications
- Less stress on the heart
- Lower risk of death
- More energy
- Quicker recovery
- Improved appetite
I also wanted to share a kidney healthy recipe, being rich in High Potassium, High Protein, Low Sodium!! One of my favorite smoothie recipes, hope you enjoy it!
Potassium: If you are on hemodialysis, limit potassium to 2,000 milligrams per day. If you are on peritoneal dialysis or short daily dialysis, limit potassium to 3,500 milligrams per day (Northwest Kidney Centers).
Banana Apple Smoothie
- 1/2 Banana (peeled & cut)
- 1/2 cup Plain Yogurt
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/4 cup Skim Milk
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 2 tablespoons Oat Bran
- Place banana, yogurt, applesauce, milk, and honey in blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add oat bran and blend until thickened.
It’s one of my favorite breakfast recipes!
Let’s raise awareness that there are options out there for patients suffering from kidney disease. Please share my post if you know someone with kidney disease who could benefit by learning about NxStage!
As usual, let us know what you think and give us a Trendy Shout!